Posted: November 03, 2009
State honors companies for going green
Colorado Environmental Leadership Program salutes businesses that think sustainableBy the staff of ColoradoBiz
"Going for the gold" has a different meaning for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. At the recent 10th Annual Environmental Leadership Program Awards, the state recognized more than 100 companies that demonstrate a commitment that transcends compliance with state regulations.
Gold Leader companies
The state's highest level of recognition recognizes companies that meet the following criteria:
• Continual environmental improvement goals that are verifiable and measurable (beyond-compliance).
• Working towards the goal of sustainability.
• Fully functional Environmental Management System.
• Clean compliance record three years prior to applying to the program
(Three-year renewable membership)
Gold Leader companies new to 2009:
1. A Creative Environment
2. Aircraft Service International Group ASIG - DIA Fuel Farm
3. Anheuser-Busch Brewery Forth Collins
4. ARAMARK - Denver Coliseum and Red Rocks
5. City and county of Denver -
Community Planning & Development
Denver Public Library
Department of Environmental Health
Department of Safety
General Services Administration
Mayor's Office - City & County Bldg.
Museum of Nature & Science
Theatres & Arenas
6. Ecologic Designs Inc.
7. Ellis Elementary School
8. InfoPrint Solutions Co.
9. Lexmark International Boulder
10. Poudre School District
11. Springs Business Solutions, a Perquest Payroll Agency
12. Trane Co.
13. Unique Litho Printing
14. WhiteWave Foods Co.
Chartered "Gold" companies:
1. Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp
2. Lockheed Martin Space Systems
3. Majestic Metals
SEVEN year members (since 2002)
4. Management & Engineering Services
SIX year members (since 2003)
5. Ball Metal Beverage Container Corp (renewing member)
6. IBM Corp., Boulder Facility (renewing member)
7. Roche Colorado Corp.
FIVE year members (since 2004)
8. Aeroflex Colorado Springs
9. Denver International Airport
10. Forever Resorts
11. Kodak Colorado Division
12. National Renewable Energy Laboratory
13. Raytheon, Aurora Campus
THREE year members (since 2006)
14. Aspen Ski Co. (renewing member)
15. Raytheon Polar Services Co.
16. Vail Resorts
TWO year members (since 2007)
17. Boulder Community Hospital
18. Rocky Mountain National Park - Xanterra
ONE year members (since 2008)
19. Alliance for Sustainable Colorado
20. Alpine Bank
21. Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mining Co.
22. Denver Zoological Foundation
24. Envirogroup Limited
25. Firestone Building Products
26. Goodrich Corporation-AWB, Carbon Operations
27. Governor's Energy Office
28. Intel - TEC1 Corp.
29. KMG Electronic Chemicals Inc.
30. LifeSpan Technologies Recycling
31. New Belgium Brewery
32. Rio Tinto Minerals Headquarters
33. Serck Services Inc.
24-Karat Gold Challenge Winner:
The 24-Karat Gold Challenge Award Winner is decided by the Gold Leaders. All Gold Leaders are asked to submit one above and beyond environmental/sustainable project that they feel could put their company above the rest. The Gold Leaders vote for the winner. (They cannot vote for themselves).
The winner for this year: Goodrich Corp. -AWB, Carbon Operations
Silver Partner companies:
• For entities who are seeking the Gold Level tier (may or may not have a functional environmental management system), and are committed towards meeting the Gold criteria within an agreed upon timeframe, not to exceed three years.
• Must meet requirements for "beyond-compliance" activities.
• Clean compliance record one year prior to applying to the program.
(Three-year goal to meet the criteria)
Silver Partners - New award recipients:
1. BC Printing
2. Cheyenne Mountain Resort
3. City and county of Denver - Public Works
4. City of Fort Collins Water Treatment Facility
5. City of Littleton
6. Downing Street Garage
7. Drake Water Reclamation Facility - city of Fort Collins
9. Egan Printing Co.
10. Front Range Earth Force
11. Henry Wurst Inc.
12. Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center
13. Lafarge US West
Gordon Asphalt Plant
Metro Denver Paving Shop
Northern Paving Shop
Pueblo Asphalt Plant
Regional QA/QC Lab
Southern Paving Shop
Specialties Aggregate Asphalt
14. Lookout Mountain Nature Center and Preserve
15. Mazetti Nash Lipsey Burch Denver Office
16. Personal Assistance Services of Colorado
17. Pristine Green Cleaners
18. Quest Diagnostics
19. Springs Fabrication
20. Thermo Fisher Scientific - Dharmcon Products
21. Tri-state Generation and Transmission Association - Nucla
22. Vision Graphics
Silver Partners that received acknowledgement (1 and 2 year members):
1. A1 Organics
2. Arapahoe County Water and Wastewater Authority
3. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
4. Carestream Health Colorado
5. City of Aspen
6. Conoco Phillips Temporary Living Quarters
7. ExhibitQuest Inc.
8. General Services Administration Public - Denver Federal Center
9. Johnson Printing Co.
10. Leanin' Tree
11. Master Craft Cabinets
12. Metech Recycling (formerly Guaranteed Recycling Xperts - GRX)
14. Prestige Imports, Inc.
15. Saddle Rock Golf Course
16. Winter Park
Bronze Achiever companies:
• For entities making significant environmental achievement(s) in improving the environment of Colorado but do not have a functional environmental management system (EMS).
• Clean compliance record for one year prior to applying to the program.
Bronze Achievers - New award recipients
1. Alpine Waste and Recycling
2. Autoworks International
3. Blue Sun
4. Cactus Jack's Saloon
5. Cartridge World Briargate
6. Chateau Shutter Company
7. City of Arvada's Ralston Water Treatment
8. City of Aurora's Wemlinger Water Plant
9. City of Fort Collins Streets Facility
10. Colorado Academy
11. Colorado Document Security
12. Colorado Yurt Co.
13. Comcast Spotlight
14. Coors Field
15. CORE Colorado
16. EnviroFriendly Lawn Care
17. Epicurean Culinary Group
18. Glenwood Suites Hotel
19. Markley Motors, Inc.
20. Mental Health Center of Denver
21. Namaste Solar
22. Page 1 Solutions LLC
23. Pepsi Center
24. Pizzeria Rustica
25. Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design
26. Rotary Club of Evergreen
27. Silver Spoons Catering and Events
28. Sprint Press Denver
29. State Farm Insurance and Financial Services
30. The Denver Center for Performing Arts
31. The Village Smithy
32. Waste Management-Recycle America
33. White River Electric Association