Posted: February 04, 2013
Tripped up by the what ifs?
Many salespeople areBy Gary Harvey
If you’re in sales, odds are there are a number of roadblocks that get in your way to success or more success no matter how good you are. I see some very common roadblocks that the rookie salesperson to seasoned veteran and the successful to unsuccessful salesperson have that I call the “what if’s.”
• What if you weren’t afraid of what people thought of you? Would you be gutsier on a sale call? Worrying what people think of you is what I call “need for approval,” and it’s one of the most debilitating factors that impede sales success. If you’re in sales to get your emotional needs met, you’re going to get killed. Don’t get me wrong, we all know the rule “people buy from people they like.” However, being liked to help facilitate a sale and worrying if they don’t like you are two different things.
• What if you didn’t have fear of rejection? Would you prospect more? Make more cold calls by phone or walk-in? Would you ask tough qualifying questions? See need for approval to understand why you have fear of rejection.
• What if you were totally committed to your goals? Would you do whatever it takes to attain those goals? Odds are yes. So ask yourself “am I totally committed?” If not, why bother having the goal? Get rid of goals that you’re not totally committed to and focus on the ones you are.
• What if you weren’t afraid to plant your feet when talking to your prospects? Would you stop discounting? Would you stop doing things that aren’t in your and your company’s best interest? Salespeople have rights is my number one sales rule and that includes the right to plant your feet and not be taken advantage of. By the way, refer back again to “need for approval” why many salespeople won’t plant their feet.
• What if you weren’t afraid of taking risks? Would you do things you’ve talked about doing, but never have done? Would you call on that large potential prospect that you talk about, but have never made the call? A life without risk is a life without growth!
• What if you didn’t hold off making decisions? Would you do something that you keep saying you will do but never yet made the decision to do it? Would you stop analyzing the pros and cons of a decision and just make the darn decision? Salespeople that are good at making decisions get “and” expect decisions on sales calls, no or yes. Start making decisions now and you’ll see you’ll expect and get them on sales calls.
We have created a life of limitations, not possibilities it seems. Why live this way? Just think, what if?
Gary Harvey is the founder and president of Achievement Dynamics, LLC, a high performance sales training, coaching and development company for sales professionals, managers and business owners. His firm is consistently rated by the Sandler Training as one of the top 10 training centers in the world. He can be reached at 303-741-5200, or email@example.com.