Only at cobizmag.com
'Low Budget' blues: Déjà Vu with the Kinks on the road to recovery
Thirty years later, the lyrics from the Kinks' 1979's Low Budget album fit the nation's current economic woes like a (dusty) glove. ColoradoBiz editor Mike Cote sets the recession's staggering statistics -- 3.6 million jobs lost, daily newspapers' demise, and the fall of the seasonal Credit Manager's Index, among other casualties -- to a rock 'n' roll beat.
By Mike Cote
What gives? Why airline fuel surcharges are sticking around
If you're wondering why the airlines have not lowered or eliminated the fuel surcharges instituted last summer when oil was $160 per barrel, here's a look at the factors driving such fees, despite the fact that oil today is in the $40 per barrel range.
By Robert Polk
From the February issue
State of the state: February
Colorado's economic resilience recently caught the attention of the New York Times, which in a story used the Spire, a 42-story condo and retail tower under construction in downtown Denver by the Nichols Partnership, as evidence the city still has growth on its mind. Plus news about how Colorado ranks for encouraging energy efficiency and the battle to keep 3.2 beer in grocery stores.
By Mike Cote
Rundles' wrap-up: Cheap is nice but unsustainable
Sure, economic times are tough, and everyone is being pinched, but consider this: Is now the right time to raise the gasoline tax? In the long run, it could be good for the economy and each person's pocketbook.
By Jeff Rundles
Attention Women-Owned Companies
Nominate your company for ColoradoBiz magazine's annual ranking of the state's Top 100 Women-Owned Companies. Click here.
See ColoradoBiz stories on Channel 7
Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz on "The Road to Recovery"
As the economy continues to challenge businesses and consumers, KMGH Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz are collaborating on stories that explore how businesses are coping - and succeeding - despite the downturn. Look for new installments of "The Road to Recovery" at 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays, during the second half of the 4 p.m. broadcast. You can also find them online at TheDenverChannel.com, where you can watch videos about about raising urban chickens, an uptick in the auto repair business, the success of a bison meat producer, the expansion of a comedy club and the growing trend for "virtual" offices.
On ColoradoBiz TV
Hot Biz Deals
- Warwick Denver Hotel is offering two special packages for meeting planners. The Meeting Planners' Bailout Package through April 30, 2009: every time the Dow drops, the Warwick Denver Hotel will discount your entire booking by the equivalent percent. If the Dow drops 5 percent on Monday, you will receive a 5 percent discount for any meeting booked on Tuesday, including meeting space, breaks, guest rooms and food and beverage. And if the Dow makes positive gains, any meeting package booked on the following day will receive complimentary morning and afternoon breaks. For the Meeting Planners' Stimulus Package, the Warwick Denver Hotel will give planners a 5 percent credit toward a future event or group booked (and consumed) for every $5,000 spent up to $20,000 through December 2010. Spend $10,000 on an event now and receive 10 percent off an entire future booking. Certain restrictions apply. Contact the hotel at (303) 832-0318 or email@example.com to learn more.
- La Sandia and chef Richard Sandoval are offering a special Dia De San Valentin prix fix menu featuring the restaurant's modern Mexican cuisine for $30 per guest. See http://www.modernmexican.com/lasandia/index.htm to learn more and make a reservation.
- Breckenridge Hospitality: Spring rates start at $85, summer rates start at $95. Packages include free meeting space and a choice of the following complimentary offers: cocktail reception, morning and afternoon breaks, or continental breakfast.
- Get away for a long weekend! SummitCove in Keystone is offering Colorado Business readers 15% off until Mar.15, 2009. Use discount code: "cobiz" and view our properties at: www.summitcove.com
- KBCO has relaunched its "I Ski with KBCO" promotion. Check www.kbco.com for the latest lodging and ski deals.