Only at cobizmag.com
A roomful of economists (yuk!)
A new survey of 47 national economists by the National Association for Business Economics provides a consensus view in sharp contrast to prior forecasts: "While a few reports offer some glimmer of hope, a meaningful recovery is not expected to take hold until next year," said Chris Varvares, the group's current president.
By Jeff Thredgold
Deeper in the slog
On a day when the DOW dropped below 6,800, economists from UMB told its investment clients to expect more of the same for the rest of the year. The $787 billion economic stimulus package "takes the sharpness off the blade" and will help blunt the recession, but we won't see any growth until next year, says Bill Greiner, UMB's chief investment officer.
By Mike Cote
When everyone's an expert
From the Denver Wine Meetup Group's Brenda Francis to Argonaut Liquor wine buyer Sheila Carey, Colorado's got some killer wine experts.
By Cathie Beck, The Wine Wench
From the March issue
Q1 real estate report: Second homes on hold
Mountain resort real estate sales activity has dropped by one-third to one-half, depending on the location. But median prices have - miraculously? - maintained, or almost.
By David Lewis
ColoradoBiz real estate roundup
Metro Denver total properties sold; average sales price; and single-family units sold.
From our blogs
The Rocky Mountain News got me singin' the blues
Rest in peace Rocky Mountain News. The newspaper changed my ways of thinking about the tabloid format, and it was the biggest newspaper that ever carried my by-line, however briefly.
By Mike Cote
Our most popular stories
Attention Women-Owned Companies
Nominate your company for ColoradoBiz magazine's annual ranking of the state's Top 100 Women-Owned Companies. Click here. The Colorado Women's Chamber of Commerce and ColoradoBiz are hosting a reception for the companies that make the rankings, 5 to 6 p.m., April 30 at the Seawell Ballroom, 1101 13th St., Denver. Following the reception, the companies are invited to attend the annual Athena Award Gala at a discounted rate. For more information contact email@example.com, (303)458-0220.
See ColoradoBiz stories on Channel 7
Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz on "The Road to Recovery"
As the economy continues to challenge businesses and consumers, KMGH Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz are collaborating on stories that explore how businesses are coping - and succeeding - despite the downturn. Look for new installments of "The Road to Recovery" at 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays, during the second half of the 4 p.m. broadcast. You can also find them online at TheDenverChannel.com.
On ColoradoBiz TV
Gov. Bill Ritter on the state of Colorado's real estate industry
Gov. Bill Ritter talks about what the state has been hearing from economic experts: we won't see the bottom until late in 2009 and possibly not until 2010.
Graham Russell of CORE on the Sustainable Opportunities Summit
Graham Russell, executive director of CORE or Connected Organizations for Responsible Economy, talks about CORE's 4th annual Sustainable Opportunities Summit March 17-19th in Denver.
Hot Biz Deals
- Warwick Denver Hotel is offering two special packages for meeting planners. Contact the hotel at (303) 832-0318 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Breckenridge Hospitality: Spring rates start at $85, summer rates start at $95. Packages include free meeting space.
- Get away for a long weekend! SummitCove in Keystone is offering ColoradoBiz readers 40 percent off until Mar.15. Use discount code: "cobiz40" and view our properties at: www.SummitCove.com.
- Monarch Ski and Snowboard area extended their value-added offer for shopping in the quaint historic community until the end of February. Visit www.80829.com to find coupons for steep discounts at area stores.
- KBCO has relaunched its "I Ski with KBCO" promotion. Check www.kbco.com for the latest lodging and ski deals.