Only at cobizmag.com
Economists, business owners react to stimulus bill
"We're not going to wake up tomorrow and suddenly see 5 million jobs in the want-ads," said economist Tucker Hart Adams. Bill Rys, tax counsel for the National Federation of Independent Business, said: "We really would have like to see some immediate tax relief."
By Dan Ray
The story behind Namaste Solar Electric and the man who introduced Barack Obama
When Namaste Solar Electric Inc. installed solar panels on the roof of the Denver Museum of Nature & History, little did Blake Jones know that job would lead to meeting President Barack Obama, whom he introduced at the signing ceremony for the $787 stimulus bill held at the museum on Tuesday.
By Karen Mitchell
Thomas Friedman: 'Energy technology is the next industrial revolution'
Three-time Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman was in Boulder this week to promote his latest book, "Hot, Flat, and Crowded." According to him, humankind is not merely sailing into an age of globalization, but also into an age of five disastrously large problems, which are also "a set of incredible opportunities."
By Dan Ray
Boulder film company premieres Jesse Ventura flick
"Woodshop," starring former Minnesota governor and pro wrestler Jesse Ventura, is the first script-to-screen feature of Boulder-based 42 Productions. The film, shot in Boulder last spring, showcases a new format called digital cinema; it premiered on campus at the University of Colorado's ATLAS Institute on Feb. 15.
By Patricia Kaowthumrong
Our most popular stories
Attention Women-Owned Companies
Nominate your company for ColoradoBiz magazine's annual ranking of the state's Top 100 Women-Owned Companies. Click here.
See ColoradoBiz stories on Channel 7
Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz on "The Road to Recovery"
As the economy continues to challenge businesses and consumers, KMGH Channel 7 and ColoradoBiz are collaborating on stories that explore how businesses are coping - and succeeding - despite the downturn. Look for new installments of "The Road to Recovery" at 4:30 p.m. on Thursdays, during the second half of the 4 p.m. broadcast. You can also find them online at TheDenverChannel.com, where you can watch videos about about raising urban chickens, an uptick in the auto repair business, the success of a bison meat producer, the expansion of a comedy club and the growing trend for "virtual" offices.
On ColoradoBiz TV
Jeff Thredgold on the economy
Jeff Thredgold, an economist for Vectra Bank and author of econAmerica, on small business, the economy and staying optimistic.
Smooch Repovich Reynolds, of the Repovich-Reynolds Group, on executive recruiting, reinventing your personal career brand and the importance of curiosity in communication.
Bringing jobs to Colorado
Tom Clark, executive vice president of Metro Denver Economic Corp., speaks about the economic outlook for Colorado and bringing new businesses and jobs to the state.
Hot Biz Deals
- Warwick Denver Hotel is offering two special packages for meeting planners. The Meeting Planners' Bailout Package through April 30, 2009: every time the Dow drops, the Warwick Denver Hotel will discount your entire booking by the equivalent percent. If the Dow drops 5 percent on Monday, you will receive a 5 percent discount for any meeting booked on Tuesday, including meeting space, breaks, guest rooms and food and beverage. And if the Dow makes positive gains, any meeting package booked on the following day will receive complimentary morning and afternoon breaks. For the Meeting Planners' Stimulus Package, the Warwick Denver Hotel will give planners a 5 percent credit toward a future event or group booked (and consumed) for every $5,000 spent up to $20,000 through December 2010. Spend $10,000 on an event now and receive 10 percent off an entire future booking. Certain restrictions apply. Contact the hotel at (303) 832-0318 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Breckenridge Hospitality: Spring rates start at $85, summer rates start at $95. Packages include free meeting space and a choice of the following complimentary offers: cocktail reception, morning and afternoon breaks, or continental breakfast.
- Get away for a long weekend! SummitCove in Keystone is offering Colorado Business readers 15% off until Mar.15, 2009. Use discount code: "cobiz" and view our properties at: www.summitcove.com
- KBCO has relaunched its "I Ski with KBCO" promotion. Check www.kbco.com for the latest lodging and ski deals.
- Monarch Ski and Snowboard area extended their value-added offer for shopping in the quaint historic community until the end of February. Spend $75 shopping, dining or at the spa and receive a free companion lift ticket for Monarch Mountain. Visit www.80829.com to find coupons for steep discounts at area stores.