The futurist: The other 25 dramatic predictions for 2030
(Editor’s note: This is the second of two parts. Read Part One.)
Here are the rest of my 33 provocative predictions about 2030, and how different life will be just 17 years in the future.
- By 2030 a new protest group will have emerged that holds anti-cloning rallies, demonstrating against the creation of “soul-less humans.”
- By 2030 we will see the first city to harvest 100 percent of its water supply from the atmosphere. Details here.
- By 2030 world religions will make a resurgence, with communities of faith growing by nearly 50 percent over what they are today.
- By 2030 over 50 percent of all traditional colleges will collapse, paving the way for an entire new education industry to emerge. Details here.
- By 2030 we will see a surge of Micro Colleges spring to life, each requiring less than six months of training and apprenticeship to switch professions. Details here.
- By 2030 scientists will have perfected an active cross-species communication system, enabling some species to talk to each other as well as humans.
- By 2030 we will see the first hurricane stopped by human intervention.
- By 2030 we will see wireless power used to light up invisible light bulbs in the middle of a room.
- By 2030 we will see the first demonstration of a technology to control gravity, reducing the pull of gravity on an object by as much as 50 percent.
- By 2030 democracy will be viewed as inferior form of government.
- By 2030 traditional police forces will be largely automated out of existence with less than 50 percent of current staffing levels on active duty.
- By 2030 over 90 percent of all libraries will offer premium services as part of their business model. Details here.
- By 2030 forest fires will have been reduced to less than 5 percent of the number today with the use of infrared drone monitoring systems. Details here.
- By 2030 over 30 percent of all cities in the U.S. will operate their electric utilities as micro grids.
- By 2030 we will have seen a number of global elections with the intent of creating a new global mandate, forcing world leaders to take notice. Details here.
- By 2030 traditional pharmaceuticals will be replaced by hyper-individualized medicines that are manufactured at the time they are ordered. Details here.
- By 2030 we will have seen the revival of the first mated pair of an extinct species. Details here.
- By 2030 swarms of micro flying drones – swarmbots – will be demonstrated to assemble themselves as a type of personal clothing, serving as a reconfigurable fashion statement. Details here.
- By 2030 marijuana will be legalized in all 50 states in the U.S. and half of all foreign countries. Details here.
- By 2030 cable television will no longer exist.
- By 2030 a small number of companies will begin calculating their labor costs with something called “synaptical currency.” Details here.
- By 2030 it will be common to use next generation search engines to search the physical world. Details here.
- By 2030 basic computer programming will be considered a core skill required in over 20 percent of all jobs.Details here.
- By 2030 we will have seen multiple attempts to send a probe to the center of the earth. Details here.
- By 2030 a form of tube transportation, inspired by Hyperloop and ET3, will be well on its way to becoming the world’s largest infrastructure project. Details here.
Reading through the prediction above you will likely have experiences a number of thoughts ranging from agreement, to amusement, to confusion, to total disagreement.
As with most predictions, not all will be correct. But the true value in this list will come from giving serious consideration to each of them and deriving your own conclusions.