When IT becomes an unbearable burden
Information Technology, or IT, -is an integral part of business these days. Almost no company can run without it. We all dive for our computers, smartphones and notebooks any time there is a need to communicate and exchange information about our businesses. Our accounting, human resources, and project planning are structured with software. Where would salesman be without their contact management systems and electronic calendars?
The challenge is, if you’re running, say, a car dealership, you’re in the business of selling cars, NOT selling software that inventories stock, or developing a bookkeeping system for your car sales business. At some point, you need to be able to focus on the core of what makes you successful, and not get stuck in the mire of managing IT systems.
For most small to mid-sized businesses, hiring a full-time IT staff is not cost-effective, and would in fact be a cumbersome responsibility that sucks the life out of day-to-day operations. Here are some other ways that hiring an IT company (known as “outsourcing IT”) can help your business:
- IMPLEMENTING THE RIGHT TECHNOLOGY – As your company grows, you want to make sure you’re selecting the best technology options for your business. When you use an IT company to help you make those technology decisions for purchases, you’re putting in a safety net that experience provides. You don’t have to be an IT expert in your purchasing processes, but you should consult with one.
- FULL SPECTRUM OF EXPERIENCE – Hiring a full-time IT person may seem like a logical decision. And there really is nothing wrong with this strategy, but use caution. With a single IT person, your decision-making is limited to that one individual’s expertise, and often micro-focus. When you outsource IT you get the full spectrum of technology expertise, including Help Desk, Networking, Server and even Cloud integration.
- AN IT COMPANY WATCHES OVER YOU FULL TIME. That’s right. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. That’s their job. Your network can be monitored off site, so that you can close shop and go home while the IT Company keeps watch over your key systems.
- OUTSOURCED IT IS COST EFFECTIVE. By selecting – -managed services-you create a consistent budget for IT spending. Many of these managed services will include things like automatic software updates and security fixes that avoid problems down the road.
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICES – One of the pains small business people express is that they thought the guy who configured his router at home had the capabilities to be the IT Manager. They either re-title the person, or simply keep running to him or her with questions the IT enthusiast may not be able to answer. This is dangerous on many levels, including information security, poor decision making going forward, and, worst of all, using or losing a valuable employee who should be focused on your business, not on your IT system.
- SERVICE IS BETTER—It is in the best interest of your IT Company to respond to your needs as quickly as possible. Many companies will staff help desks as well as technicians to ensure your system is always up and running, and that you have the answers you need for any technology question.
- CUTTING EDGE PRODUCTS AT GOOD PRICES—Let’s face it. There are a lot of “toys” out there; some are worthwhile, many are not. But, if there is a new trend and need for new products, an IT company is the entity that can find that new item for the best price for you. That’s what they’re there for. And when you add in that they’re up-to-date because they’re constantly being trained in the latest technologies, as a consumer, you’re getting the best of all worlds. You can feel confident turning to them for your own solutions.
Information Technology is indeed an exciting part of business today. But when managing IT becomes a burden know that there are other solutions—better solutions. When you engage with a reputable IT Company, you remove stress from your own management plate, and increase satisfaction with your entire business operation.