Prospecting rules to live by
Any salesperson knows to be successful in sales, prospecting is a must. Under the heading of prospecting, there are obviously many avenues to use, including cold calls, referrals, networking, and trade shows. No matter which option you use the most, below are some of my rules to live by when prospecting that might help you.
1. Always call at the top.
2. Sales is no place for wimps.
3. Talking with strangers can help you make a fortune. It’s okay to be uncomfortable. It’s not okay to stay that way.
4. The gatekeeper is not your mother. You don’t have to do everything she tells you to do. What you tell her will get you killed, every time!
5. Do the most difficult task first. Get it out of the way now.
6. Sales people provide products/services vital to the economy.
7. I deserve respect from my prospect. I have a service of value.
8. Sales is not the place to get your emotional needs met. Prospects become friends only after they become clients. Leave your need for approval in the car.
9. It is the job of the salesperson to get information, not always give it.
10. Think big and go for your dreams.
11. Probing questions are vital to your success.
12. The first thing a prospect does is test you. Be ready!
13. A satisfied customer will gladly give referrals if asked for in a professional manner.
14. Mom and Dad were wrong; money does grow on trees (i.e. build “Referral Trees”).
15. Go for it — just do it!
16. Successful salespeople spend 50 percent of their time prospecting.
17. Selling skills are learned and developed by reinforcement.
18. There is no try, just do.